As a village Leighton has an advantage over all other villages. Surrounding it on all sides is natural beauty in the landscape. There is Wenlock Edge, the Wrekin, the twisting and turning River severn all protecting this peaceful corner of Shropshire. Leighton is definately a contender forShropshire's loveliest village.
The village itself is small comprising just a few houses, a church, a pub and Hall. Lining the Shrewsbury to Ironbridge road which runs through the village are several black and white houses.
Trees also line the roads and provide welcome shade for pedestrians in the summer months. Some of the tres form part of the Leighton Hall estate. The Hall is a red-brick building built in 1778. Leighton Lodge stands at the entrance to the Hall and is significant as the birthplace of Shropshire author Mary Webb who wrote Precious Bane and other stories about Shropshire.
The village church is also within the Parkland although it does predate it neighbour by some 60 years. Inside the church you will find many memorials to the Leighton family including an effigy possibly dating from the 13th century. It depicts a knight in chain mail. Other effigies are dedicated to the Kynnersley family.