Canal Inclined Plane
The village was once the site of an inclined plane. It was originally constructed in 1793 and it connected the (now non functional) Shrewsbury canal and the smaller Wombridge canal. The Wombridge canal was 75 feet higher in elevation and was part of the east Shropshire canal network.
The inclined plane at Trench was the last working inclined plane in the UK when it ceased operations in 1921.