Lilleshall Abbey

Attraction in Telford, Shropshire

Contact Details

Tel: 0121 6256820

Web: Visit Website

Email: customers@english-heritage.org.uk

Postal Address:
Newport
Telford
Shropshire

Jump To...

Description Facilities Directions

Description

Lilleshal Abbey is the remains of a twelfth and thirteenth century medieval monastry. The remains of the church and other large domestic buildings can still be seen.

Lilleshall Abbey is the remains of a twelfth and thirteenth-century medieval monastery. The remains of the church and other large domestic buildings can still be seen. Other buildings such as a lady chapel and canon's dormitory is known to have existed on the site and is thought to have been situated to the north-east of the church. The abbey was enclosed by a large precinct wall, of which little survives today.

It is thought Lilleshall Abbey was founded by Richard de Belmeis who settled a group of Arrouasian (later Augustinian) canons at the site in around 1148. Records exist that show the abbey gained much of its income from farmland, two water mills, a small collection of properties in Shrewsbury and tolls made from the use of the Atcham Bridge over the River Severn. However, by the early fourteenth Century the abbey was heavily in debt and the abbey's suppression is thought to have occurred in around 1538 when it is recorded that the property and goods of the abbey were sold for £75

At this time as well as the abbot, there were nine canons and 43 servants at the abbey, including a schoolmaster. The site came into the ownership of the Cavendish family and a year later was passed to James Leveson of Wolverhampton. At the time of the civil war, the abbey was fortified for King Charles I by Sir Richard Leveson. Following the civil war the abbey seems to have been left in a ruined state of decay. In 1950 the abbey came into the ownership of the Office of Works and later was repaired before coming into the care of English Heritage, who continue to look after the site to this day

Facilities

On-site car parking Picnic Site

Directions

On an unclassified road off A518, 4 miles N of Oakengates

Contact Details

Tel: 0121 6256820

Web: Visit Website

Email: customers@english-heritage.org.uk

Postal Address:

Newport

Telford

Shropshire

Get Directions

Disclaimer

The details displayed on this page are copyright protected to Shropshire Tourism and are correct at the time of publication. Shropshire Tourism would like to advise all visitors to check prices & opening times with the venue prior to traveling in case of changes that might have occured since the publication of this page. Whilst Shropshire Tourism endeavours to ensure that the information on this site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and Shropshire Tourism does not accept any liability for error or omission. The directions above are for planning purposes only and should be used alongside a general roadmap or satnav system. Variables such as road/construction works, traffic, weather conditions etc may cause alterations to the route.