St. Peter's Church, Melverley
Attraction in Oswestry, Shropshire
St. Peter's has been a place of Christian worship for 1000 years.
The current timber-framed, wattle and daub, black and white church was built shortly after the Welsh chieftain Owain Glyndwr burnt down a wooden chapel on the banks of the river in 1401. It was rebuilt in 1406 and is one of the oldest of its type Shropshire.
The church is a rare example of an early timber, wattle and daub church that has been pegged together throughout - there is not one nail in the building.
Inside, the church features a Saxon font, a Jacobean altar and pulpit and a lecturn (1727) holding a chained Bible.
The churchyard has magnificent yew trees protecting mossy gravestones.
It is an extraordinary church and a place of peace and spiritual pilgramage.
Melverley is about 1 mile north of Crewgreen village on B4393. Follow signs along country lanes to Melverley. Turn up lane by Tontine Inn.
The details displayed on this page are copyright protected to Shropshire Tourism and are correct at the time of publication. Shropshire Tourism would like to advise all visitors to check prices & opening times with the venue prior to traveling in case of changes that might have occured since the publication of this page. Whilst Shropshire Tourism endeavours to ensure that the information on this site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and Shropshire Tourism does not accept any liability for error or omission. The directions above are for planning purposes only and should be used alongside a general roadmap or satnav system. Variables such as road/construction works, traffic, weather conditions etc may cause alterations to the route.