Construction of Ludlow Castle began in the late 11th Century as the border stronghold of one of the Marcher Lords, Roger De Lacy.
It is situated close to the welsh border and has been occupied, continuously since it was built and occupied by by the Myddleton family, who have lived there for the past 400 years since 1295. Originally the 13th century castle, completed in 1310, was bought for £4800 in 1595 by Sir Thomas Myddelton a Welsh merchant. Over the years, subsequent occupants of the Myddelton family added their own ideas to the castle, this included major alterations taking place in the 1840's.
The castles austere and atmospheric exterior with its 15ft thick walls, contrasts with its intimate and comfortable, interior containing staterooms filled with elegant Adam-style furniture, elaborate plaster work, portraits and fine tapestries.
In 1999 Chirk Castle also won the National Trust/Gordon's Gin Garden of the Year Award. Not surprising, as the delightful formal gardens and 18th century parkland commands spectacular views over the Cheshire/Shropshire plains.