Bishops Castle, Shropshire
Bishops Castle is a small town built on a south-facing hill, with a population of around 1500. Centred on the High and Church streets, which climb from the parish Church. You can admire the Town Hall and many other historic buildings and the unusual Elizabethan House on Crutches, which is supported by wooden posts over a cobbled alley.
There are two museums celebrating local history and the railway. Lots of lovely traditional shops, butchers, grocers, ironmongers, as well as bookshops, handmade furniture and art galleries line the main street.
The number of pubs reminds us that Bishop's Castle was once a drovers town - a watering hole for both them and their cattle on their way to market. With two breweries, many eating places and a lively events calendar - people keep coming back.
Bishop's Castle has also become a Walkers Are Welcome award winning town along with its South Shropshire neighbour Church Stretton.
Please click here to view a map of Bishop's Castle town centre.
Attractions in Bishop's Castle
Accommodation in Bishop's Castle
Formerly the Sun Inn, our ancient building has been providing guests with hospitality for centuries. We provide quality accommodation with luxurious beds and well appointed rooms. We have a licensed bar and dining room for residents, serving homemade food using local and seasonal ingredients.
A delightful 18th Century, stone built barn conversion situated close to the owners' farmhouse on a 4.5 acre smallholding with rare breed pigs, sheep, ducks, chickens and a wildlife pond, on the outskirts of the hamlet of Mainstone.